The Little Theatre of Watertown
A little bit about the oldest continuous running community theater troupe in NYS
The Little Theater of Watertown is a volunteer based, nonprofit organization that exists to offer high quality live theatre, provide lifelong learning opportunities, and foster creative expression throughout the community in a fiscally responsible manner.
There is a long history to Little Theatre of Watertown and this page will explain it all some day soon.
We are located in
We are currently looking for a new home in
Awards – Awards – Awards!
A BIG HAND To The Director and Cast of
Awards at the TANY Festival
Those Crazy Ladies in the House on the Corner
by Pat Cook
· Meritorious Achievement in Ensemble Work to the Director and Cast
· Excellence in Acting to Jane Jenkins for her portrayal of Dora Miller
Excellence in Acting to Kathie Strader
for her portrayal of Lydia Van Horn
Adjudicated by Diane Mashia, TANYS Adjudicator
AND, if you haven’t seen already…
They have been selected to perform at the TANYS Festival in Auburn on November 22, 2013
www.tanys.org for details!
The Dixie Swim Club
June 28, 2013 at the Clayton Opera House
Achievement in Ensemble Acting to Tina
Thompson as Lexi and
Adjudicator's Joan Luther’s Comments: The Little Theatre of Watertown gave its audiences some laughs along with some tears with their production of “Dixie Swim Club.” A thoughtful play, it spans over 50 years of the lives of five completely different personalities of a college swim team. All five women aged beautifully in this production.
Murder by the Book
May - June, 2013
Won Three awards from The Theatre Association of NYS (TANYS)!
· Excellence in Production Design and Execution to Elizabeth Smith and her Production Staff
· Excellence in Acting to Cindy Tyler for her portrayal of Christine Scott
· Excellence in Acting to Tina Thompson for her portrayal of Imogen Piper
Awards are based on three separate designations. These designations include Meritorious Achievement, Excellence and Outstanding Achievement.
· Meritorious Achievement = Some Advanced Theatrical Skill Noted
· Excellence = Theatrical Skill Base Not Routinely Noted in Non-Professional Theatre
· Outstanding Achievement = Theatrical Skill Base Rarely Seen in Non-Professional Theatre
Little Theatre of Watertown’s production of
won FIVE awards from The Theatre Association of NYS (TANYS)!
· Excellence in Ensemble Work to the Director, Cast and Crew for the Foreigner
· Excellence in Acting to Jane Bowman Jenkins for her portrayal of Betty
· Excellence in Acting to Terry Burgess for his portrayal of Charlie
· Meritorious Achievement in Acting to Colton Mangon for his portrayal of Ellard
· Meritorious Achievement in Design to Sherman A. Ward, Jr. and in Execution to Christine Godfrey for their work on the disappearing Clansman apparatus.
Adjudicator: Joan Luther
Date: February 24, 2013
Little Theatre's production of Love, Loss & What I Wore by Nora and Delia Ephron, directed by Daniel Allington, was selected as one of seven plays to be presented at the festival from 187 plays adjudicated over the past year in NYS. Just being selected as one of the shows to participate is a huge honor.
A panel of three national adjudicators chose our own Kathie Strader as the recipient of the Outstanding Actor Award for her performance in Love, Loss & What I Wore (the TANYS equivalent of the Oscar).
The Little Theatre of Watertown was the recipient of the The Shirley Cockrell Community Theatre Excellence Award, "presented to a TANYS community theatre that provides exemplary service to its community and continually aspires to and maintains the highest level of artistic achievement". A $750 check was presented to Little Theatre with the award. There is only one of these awarded each year after a rigorous application process, which was submitted by Jane Jenkins. Picture attached of Jane Jenkins with the Shirley Cockrell Award.
TANYS Roving Adjudicator Awards
The Nerd (February 2012) Adjudicator: Arnie Galin
« Meritorious Achievement in Ensemble Acting to the entire Cast (Claire Auborg, Terry Burgess, Shane Coughlin, Chase Marshall, Jeremy Marshall, David Murphy, and Stephanie Wilson)
Adjudicator’s comments: Little Theatre's production of The Nerd was an enjoyable evening of entertainment.
My Three Angels (November & December 2011): Adjudicator: Joan Luther
« Excellence Achievement
in Direction to
« Meritorious Achievement in Ensemble Acting to Terry Burgess, David Fichtenmayer, and Levi Whitney
« Meritorious Achievement in Costume Design and Execution to Rebecca Hopfinger
Adjudicator’s comments: “The Little Theatre of Watertown gave its audience some real laughs when three unusual angels hit the stage at the Black River Valley Club. Under Sherman C. Ward, Jr.’s direction, the stage came alive with a Christmas story full of fun, merriment and compassion. It has something for everyone, including a live chicken!” The dinner was great, too.
TANYS Roving Adjudicator Awards
Red, White and Tuna (August 2011): Adjudicator: Spencer Watson
· Meritorious Achievement in Comedic Ensemble Acting to Daniel Davis and David Simmons
Flamingo Court (April 2011): Adjudicator: Ed Scutt
« Meritorious Achievement in Acting to Jane Jenkins for her portrayal in the dual roles of Marie and Clara
« Excellent Achievement in Acting to Terry Burgess for his portrayal of Dominic
« Meritorious Achievement in Acting to Mark Chiappone for his portrayal of Harry
« Meritorious Achievement in Sound Design and Execution to Dan Allington
Adjudicator’s comments: Dinner and The Little Theatre of
Watertown's production of three interconnected one-act plays,
Don’t Talk to the Actors (February 2011): Adjudicator: Joan Luther
· Meritorious Achievement in Acting to Stephanie Wilson for her portrayal of Lucinda Shaw
· Meritorious Achievement in Characterization to the Cast - Terry Burgess, David Fichtenmayer, David Murphy, Brianna Ramsey, Kathie Strader and Stephanie Wilson - and director, Sarah Hovey
Adjudicator’s Comments: LT brought the wheeling and dealing of backstage to life with their production …The cast and director created a thoughtful comedy full of people we all can relate to. And the dinner at the Black River Club is not to be missed!
Wrong Chimney (November
Meritorious Achievement in Ensemble
Acting to the entire cast - Dan Allington, Kris
Rusho, Sarah Hovey, Scot Zaffora-Reeder, Terry Burgess,
Adjudicator’s Comments: The reputation of the Little Theatre of Watertown was definitely enhanced by this fast paced romp of this yuletide farce.
Board Member Sherman Ward received the American Asso. of Community Theaters
(AACT) Fellows Award. "The
Honorable designation of Fellow is bestowed for life upon those members of
AACT who over a period of years have contributed significantly to the idea
and ideal of community theatre." He will also receive The
Art Cole Award "Honors
lifetime of leadership in community theatre by members of AACT who have
provided leadership at the national level in addition to local and/or
regional levels.” Congratulations
The Sherman C. Ward Jr. Distinguished Volunteer Award was presented by the Theatre Association of NY State (TANYS) in November 2010 to Jane Bowman Jenkins.
The Sherman C. Ward, Jr. Distinguished Volunteer Award is given to an individual above the age of 65 who has faithfully provided significant and valuable service to community theatre for over 25 years.
TANYS Roving Adjudicator Awards
Over the Tavern by Tom Dudzick (October 2009) Adjudicator: Laura Andruski
· Meritorious Achievement in Acting to
· Meritorious Achievement in Acting to Natalie Reff as Annie
· Meritorious Achievement in Ensemble Acting to the Cast
· Meritorious Achievement in Direction to Sarah Hovey
Rumors by Neil Simon (January 2010) Adjudicator: Spencer Watson
· Excellence in Acting to David Murphy for his portrayal of Ken Gorman
· Meritorious Achievement in Acting to Elizabeth Phimister Smith for her portrayal of Chris Gorman
· Meritorious Achievement in Scenic Design and Construction to Steve Favret
Opal's Baby (April 2010) Adjudicator: Arnie Galin
· Meritorious Achievement in Ensemble Acting to Jane Jenkins, Judy Norris, Terry Burgess, David Beckstrom, Brianna Ramsey, and Sarah Hovey
· Meritorious Achievement in Direction to Bonnie McCormick and Nancy Wearne-Navarra
Five Outstanding One-Acts by Local Playwrights (August 2010) Adjudicator,: Robert Alonzo.
· Always a Bridesmaid by Kris Rusho - Meritorious Achievement in Acting to Kris Rusho for her portrayal of Stella.
· The Coin Toss by Zachery Rufa - Meritorious Achievement to Leonard Planes for his portrayal of Lucifer.
· The Lift by Jane Jenkins - Meritorious Achievement to Kathie Strader as Claudia and David Murphy as Charlie for their Ensemble Acting Work.
· We're a Close Family by Craig Thornton - Meritorious Achievement In Playwriting to Craig Thornton.
Visit www.TANYS.org, to view past year’s awards.
Little Theatre of Watertown
Contact any of our Board Members for more info: Contacts